Recipe: Sweet Pea Risotto
Just days before Chef Brian won the Iron Chef Tucson title, he showed us how to create the Sweet Pea Risotto on KGUN9’s The Morning Blend. If you missed it, don’t worry! Chef Brian has shared his recipe for this tasty summer dish for you to enjoy at home!
At Maynards, we top the Sweet Pea Risotto with house-pickled asparagus, bread crumbs, pea tendrils, and a ratatouille created entirely using vegetables from the Maynards Garden & Grove. Want the garden freshness on this dish, but don’t have a garden at home? Come on in – we’ll do the harvesting and cooking for you – and enjoy it at Maynards Kitchen!
Sweet Pea Risotto Recipe
- 3 cups Arborio rice
- 12 cups vegetable stock (kept hot)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced small
- 1 cup pea puree
- 1 cup fresh peas
- ½ cup fresh parmesan cheese
- Heat a straight-sided sauté pan over medium heat until hot.
- Add the olive oil, followed by the onion. Sauté for 2 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent, then add the Arborio rice.
- Cook to toast rice, about 5 minutes. Start adding vegetable stock, 4 ounces at a time, to the risotto, stirring very frequently with a wooden spoon.
- Cook until the rice is al dente, about 20 minutes.
- At the very end, add the pea puree, fresh or frozen peas, parmesan, and butter. Stir to combine and serve right away.
(At Maynards, we top the risotto with our garden ratatouille mix, house-pickled asparagus, bread crumbs and pea tendrils.)